What is the Healthy Lunch Box?
The Healthy Lunch Box website was developed by Cancer Council NSW to help promote healthy eating habits that support cancer prevention.
We know 1 in 3 cancers can be prevented by having a healthy lifestyle, which includes eating high fibre foods such as fruit, vegetables and wholegrains. However, most Aussies are not eating enough of these foods.
Having 5 serves of vegetables and 2 serves of fruit and swapping to more wholegrains like brown rice and wholemeal bread are simple healthy habits to adopt.
The Healthy Lunch Box website is a one-stop shop for everything you need to know about packing a healthy lunch box. But don’t let the name fool you – this website can be used by anyone who wants to get more fruit, veg and wholegrains into their diet. There are hundreds of delicious recipes that provide inspiration and ideas for any time of the day, such as our tasty banana pikelets for breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack or our chicken cacciatore for dinner which provides 6 serves of vegies per portion.
The low down on our recipes:
- All of the recipes have been developed by dietitians and are packed full of fruit, vegies and wholegrains
- Each recipe is tried and tested so you know they work
- Our recipes use simple, budget friendly ingredients
- You can search for recipes that are easy to freeze – make a batch and freeze some for later giving you a night off from cooking
- There are dinner recipes with lots of suggestions on how to use leftovers for lunch
- All recipes are nut free and you can filter for gluten free, dairy free and vegetarian
- Each recipe tells how many serves of vegetables or fruit it provides, helping you achieve the aim of 5 serves of vegetables and 2 serves of fruit every day
Other features of the Healthy Lunch Box website:
- Want quick and easy healthy snacks? Check out our snack ideas page
- Are you a visual person? See our recipe video page for a step by step guide on how to make a recipe
- Got a burning nutrition question? Have a look at our informative blog that covers topics from seasonal eating to practical tips about how to create healthy eating habits
- Get kids involved in making their own lunch box! Try out our interactive Healthy Lunch Box Builder