It’s important to pack a lunch box with food that’s safe to eat to prevent food poisoning. Storing ingredients at the right temperature is the best way to keep food fresh. Foods such as meat, fish, poultry and eggs; cooked pasta, noodles and rice; and dairy items such as milk, yoghurt, custard and cheese need to be kept very cold.
- Use a cooler bag and ice brick to keep food cold in the lunch box.
- Or use a frozen bottle of water to keep food cold.
- Freeze items such as sandwich bread, milk poppers, yoghurt tubs and home-made muffins. They will be thawed and ready to eat at lunch time and keep other lunch box items cold.
- Follow hygienic food preparation methods. This is especially important when food will be stored in the lunch box for several hours before eating.
- If preparing lunches the night before, store in the fridge or freezer.
- For food that has just been cooked, cool it in the fridge overnight before packing.