Apple and date muffins
3 medium apples, finely chopped
1 cup boiling water
⅔ cup brown sugar
2–3 tsp of mixed spice or cinnamon
1 rounded tsp baking soda
1 rounded tsp baking powder
2 cups flour (white or wholemeal plain flour, or a mixture)
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Prepare muffin tins by greasing with margarine or spraying with oil. Boil some water
Place chopped apples and dates in a bowl, then add boiling water, margarine and sugar. Mix till the margarine has melted and the sugar dissolved.
When fruit mixture is warm, not hot, add spice and egg and mix well.
Add the baking soda, baking powder and flour. Mix, but do not over beat once flour goes in. If the final mixture is too dry, add a little water.
Spoon mixture into muffin tins leaving some room for mixture to rise.
Bake immediately for 15 minutes or until the top is golden and springs back when touched.
* Dairy free if using dairy free margarine
- Dates for sultanas
- Buy ‘Odd Bunch’, ‘I’m Perfect’ or ‘Imperfect Picks’ apples to save money.
- You can save money by using home brand flour and dried fruit.
- This recipe is a great way to use up apples that are a bit bruised – just cut out the bruised bits.
- Using wholemeal flour adds a fibre boost. Eating a diet high in fibre can help reduce your risk of bowel cancer.
- Apples provide folate. Folate supports your immune system.
Recipe variation: Blueberry, oatmeal and yoghurt muffins
2 cups plain flour (white or wholemeal, or a mixture)
1 cup oats–quick or regular oats
⅔ cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1½ cups reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
50g margarine, melted, slightly cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Prepare muffin tins by greasing with margarine or spraying with oil.
Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl. Combine yogurt, eggs, margarine and vanilla in a second bowl. Fold the yoghurt mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Gently fold in blueberries.
Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden and springs back when touched.
This recipe is not dairy free.