Coming up with healthy lunches and snacks on a daily basis can be a challenge. However, it seems that we often overlook the humble toast. Check out these simple ideas:
1. Sweet treat
Adding different fruits to your toast or toasties makes for a delicious and fibre-rich snack.
- Try adding a thin layer of to a slice of wholegrain toast and topping with banana slices and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Make a fruit toastie using slices of banana, apple and pear with a sprinkle of mixed spice.
- Raisin toast with a thin layer of reduced salt margarine will also make for a healthy sweet treat.
2. Classic baked bean toastie
The baked bean toastie is a classic for a reason. It is tasty, simple and very nutritious. For a twist on the classic, try adding sliced fresh tomato and a sprinkle of cheese. This will also provide some additional fibre and a source of calcium. Why not try reduced salt baked beans – you won’t taste the difference!
3. Filling lunch
In addition to vegetables, you could try adding a source of protein to the toastie for a nutritious and filling lunch.
- Eggs with cheese and spinach make for a healthy oozy toastie
- Try a cheese, spinach/capsicum/mushroom and tomato toastie for a tasty twist on a classic sandwich
4. Leftovers toastie
Nutritious dips used as a spread on wholegrain toast can make for a healthy lunch. Think guacamole, babaganoush, hummus or salsa. Top with your favourite ingredients to make it more filling, for example guacamole with tomato and onion slices or salsa topped with our Mexican meatballs.