Hungry? Why not choose fruit and veg and get your 5 & 2!
Did you know we need to eat 5 serves of vegetables and 2 serves of fruit each day to stay healthy?
Vegies and fruit are important for health and should form a major part of you and your family’s diet. They are a great source of fibre, vitamins and minerals. They also contain antioxidants and phytochemicals that help protect cells against damage.
What counts as 1 serve?
Does 5 & 2 sound too much to chew?
It might sound like a lot to have five serves of vegies and two serves of fruit every day, but if you spread it over the day, it’s easy to do! Check out our top tips to get your 5 & 2:
2 serves of fruit
- Go bananas at breakfast. Have a banana on your breakfast cereal, or want something more adventurous try these delicious banana split pots
- Go fruity for snacks and dessert. Grab your favourite seasonal fruit like an apple, orange or grapes for a morning or afternoon tea snack or try a fruit recipe for dessert such as stuffed apples, fruit salad, fruit and yoghurt or stewed apples
5 serves of vegies
- Pack some vegies into lunch – what about a vegie pasta soup, yummy salad or just have some lettuce and tomato on your sandwich
- Have some vege sticks with hummus for afternoon tea
- Go meat free on Mondays and have a vegie based dinner
- Try baked beans on wholegrain toast – half a cup equals 1 serve of veg
- Showcase vegies at dinner – with a beef and broccoli stir fry