Choosing healthy summer snacks is easy with all the yummy summer fruit and veg available. We’ve created this list of healthy summer snacks for you to try. These recipes are great in the lunch box, however they can be enjoyed anytime.
1. Seasonal fruit
Together with the warmer weather, summer also brings some delicious seasonal fruits. Think mangoes, peaches, strawberries and pineapple. Packed with fibre and nutrients, these summer fruits make a great snack on their own or mixed together in a refreshing fruit salad
- You could also try a fruit salad parfait or fresh fruit and yoghurt
- Use fresh peaches in the oat, sultana and peach bread – great for the lunch box
- Try fresh fruit on skewers:
For more information on which fruits are in season during summer, check out our guide to what’s in season this summer.
2. Nutritious dips
Dips make a tasty summer snack especially when eaten with vegetable sticks or wholegrain crackers.
- Try our vegetable sticks and hummus recipe for a fibre-rich snack
- Guacamole, Mexican salsa or babaganoush together with baked wholegrain tortilla chips or Lebanese bread are delicious and nutritious
- For a dip that is also a source of calcium, try our tzatziki or minty yoghurt dip
3. Homemade fruit ice blocks
During the warmer months try these homemade frozen fruit puree blocks. These are not only free from added sugars but also contain fibre.
If ice blocks are not your thing, you can blend the frozen fruit puree to make a refreshing fruit frappe. Great for an after-school snack.
Just like the homemade fruit puree ice blocks, a fruit or vegie smoothie can be a refreshing and healthy summer snack. Try our green or berrylicious smoothie. You can change up your smoothies by adding different fruits and vegies.
5. Fresh salads
Summer is the perfect time to eat more salads. Not only do they make a great main meal, but salads can also be a nutritious and filling snack. Here are some of our favourites: